Monday, November 3, 2008

Reflections

Ever reach a moment in your life where you stop and wonder, "Is this really my life?" (And I mean this in a good way). I've had another of those moments tonight. When I graduated from undergrad, though I always knew I would go to law school, I never imagined that my life would look like this. I had thought I would be in Seattle, probably similar to undergrad. But instead, I'm in a totally new city, almost as far across the country as possible from my family, and loving it. I have these moments as I walk to school, taking in the bustle of everyone going to work, to school, about their lives, looking up at the Pru, the Church of Science park with it's amazing reflection pool, down past Symphony Hall.... I never would have thought I would spend my days teaching 1Ls, advocating for DV victims in court and at the hospital, and longing for co-op at the Appellate Tax Board. I'm struggling to find the time to study for the MPRE while writing an orientation manual for a project working on a proposed law suit by the VRLC. I'm counting down the days until I get to fly across the country to see friends and family, and then to DC to cook a huge Thanksgiving dinner for a houseful of gay men. And I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even though I'm paying an atrocious amount for my little studio apartment, where I can't control the heat and I hear the T go by the window, the traffic, and the construction in the morning. Even though I'm wondering how I will find the hours in the day to get everything done I need to, and trying to refrain from freaking out about having an exam in two days and the MPRE in another two without having done anything more than a four hour Barbri lecture. Even though I know the bitter wind and wet snows of winter will soon be here. I still love it here. It's amazing how things work out for a reason. If I hadn't procrastinated on applying to schools right after undergrad, I never would have taken the job at V/WS. If I had never taken the job, I never would have learned about NUSL. If I had never heard about NUSL, I never would have been here. So the moral of the story? Procrastinating can be the best decision you can make!

No comments: