Thursday, May 7, 2009

Crim Pro or Kitchen Experiments?

Nothing like trying to study all day to make my mind wander in three thousand directions... So in between answering questions for the 1Ls, trying to get my Lexis account to work again and listening to the Barbri lecture, I decided something sweet would be really kind of yummy (anyone else get that urge when faced with hours upon hours of studying?). As I have a tendency to not normally have sweet stuff on hand (aside from dried Turkish figs...but they weren't quite going to cut it at the moment), I began trying to think of what I could make. This was even more of a problem, because I've been trying to use things up (I'm leaving way too soon), and therefore have an extreme shortage of flour. So my fabulous thought for lemon poppy seed bread went nowhere. Instead, I decided to go for peanut butter cookies, based on the simplest recipe I've ever come across, as it does not include flour. However, either I remembered the recipe wrong, or it just doesn't quite work the same with natural peanut butter. So I decided to throw a few more things in, and wound up with some fabulous PB&J cookies, with a little banana. First time I've actually made up my own recipe for baking (somehow that always frightens me more than cooking without a recipe), and I have to say it was a total success! And now as the last pan is about to come out of the oven, it's back to crim pro. The warm cookie helps take the sting out.

4 comments:

chelsea said...

Did you write down the recipe? I want to make these!!

Megan said...

Well...there wasn't quite ay measuring once I started dumping things in. But I can estimate and I'm sure you can make it work :)

Megan said...

And I guess here is as good a place as any for it! (Disclaimer: I've never tried to write a recipe before either, so if you can think of some changes that need to be made, please let me know)

PB&J Cookies

1 C peanut butter (I used half creamy, half chunky, it was a perfect combo...the peanuts gave it texture without being overboard)
3/4 C sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 t vanilla
(if using unsalted pb, add a scant 1/4 t salt)
1 mashed banana
1 C of flour
2 T milk
Jelly of choice (I used blackberry)

Preheat oven to 325. Mix wet ingredients together with sugar. Add flour, about one cup, until the dough comes together but is still sticky (a cross between a dough and a batter). If needed, add more milk or flour to achieve proper consistency. Mound about 2 T of the dough on a cookie sheet (greasing is optional...mine stuck slightly, but not enough to damage them), spacing the cookie about an inch apart (they barely spread). Flatten the tops just a little and spoon about a quarter teaspoon of jelly in the middle (or however much it will hold!). Bake for 10-15 min (okay, I really didn't pay attention to the time, just judged by the yummy peanut butter smell), until cookies are firm, but not dry. Transfer to wire racks to cool. They're so delicious still warm, but do not give into the temptation to try one immediately...the jelly is hot!

chelsea said...

Can't wait to try it! I love some of your descriptions too!